Become a Mental Health First Aider (MHFAider®)
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised learning experience that teaches you how to identify, understand and help someone who may be experiencing a mental health issue.
At least one in four people in the UK are affected by a mental health condition at some point in their life and it is critical for businesses, organisations and human beings to have the ability to spot signs and symptoms in order to guide people towards the appropriate support that’s available.
I offer an accredited professional two-day Mental Health First Aid course to enable you to gain the skills that give you a deeper understanding of the issues around mental health and how to offer vital help and support.
Although things are improving, stigma around mental ill health remains prevalent and, in many ways, remains an unconscious process. As a society, we don’t always value our mental health as we do our physical health. We may have less knowledge about mental health, and when you add fear to the equation, we can go into avoidance. This means that people may not know how to support a friend, family member or colleague experiencing a mental health issue, or where to go for support with their own mental health.
Independent research and evaluation shows that taking part in an MHFA course:
- Raises awareness and mental health literacy
- Reduces the stigma around mental ill health and helps delegates feel more confident guiding people towards appropriate support
- Boosts knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues
- Encourages people to start a conversation with someone who may be experiencing a mental health issue
- Promotes early intervention, which enables recovery. MHFA won’t teach you how to be a therapist, but you will be able to say you’re a Mental Health First Aider
The Learning Experience
Face to Face Training
The face-to-face Mental Health First Aider course is a full two-day programme that comprises four sessions, delivered through a mix of presentations and various learning activities including quizzes, group work, videos, case studies and reflective activities. The two days can be back-to-back or spread out one week apart (e.g. Monday and Monday).
The online version is delivered through four tutor-led live sessions that range from 3 hours to 3 hours 45 minutes in length. The live sessions can be delivered flexibly over two days or four days, whatever you prefer.
The learning outcomes for both the face-to-face and online versions are the same. Mental Health First Aiders will be able to:
- Listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis, and even potentially stop a crisis from happening
- Recognise the warning signs of mental ill health, and develop the skills and confidence to approach and support someone while keeping themselves safe
Empower someone to access the support they might need for recovery or the successful management of symptoms. This could include self-help books or websites, accessing therapy services through their GP, their school or place of work, online self-referral, support groups, and more
- Gain an understanding of how to support positive wellbeing and tackle stigma in the world around them
Training is delivered by quality trainers who have completed the MHFA England Instructor Training programme, which is accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health.
After successfully completing the learning experience, learners will receive three years of certification, plus access to ongoing benefits.
In addition to the course, learners will become part of the largest MHFAider® community in England, gaining access to resources, ongoing learning and 24/7 digital support through MHFA England’s MHFAider Support App®. This will give them the tools and knowledge needed to carry out their new role effectively and confidently, whether that be in a workplace, a volunteer role, or in the community.
What is your investment?
This two-day course is valued at £325.00 per delegate. We want the course to be as accessible as possible and we can usually offer a small number of places at a reduced fee for charities or individuals who are not able to fund the full cost.
We also offer an early bird discount of £250.00 for delegates booking their place two months prior to the course starting or for organisations sending three or more delegates.
If you would like us to run the two-day course exclusively for your organisation please contact us to discuss dates.
Up to 12 delegates £2,700
Up to 16 delegates £3,300
Please enquire for more information on course dates.
Attendee numbers are recommended at a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 16 per group. Each will receive:
- A Mental Health First Aider certificate upon completion of the course
- Comprehensive course materials, including a manual, workbook and quick reference guide of the Mental Health First Aid action plan